We are still operating. Read our response to COVID-19
Ryan Senn

White Card & First Aid course for international students

Written by Ryan Senn

Until recently, finding training providers that offer the White Card & First Aid course to overseas students (international student visa holders) has been a challenge.

The courses, which often only take half a day to complete, required training organisations to be CRICOS registered, a special approval that is mainly given to large international universities and colleges.

As of July 19th 2021, this requirement has changed for a number of VET unit of competencies (often called short courses), with courses such as First Aid and White Card added to an exemption list. As a result, Tradie Training can now deliver those courses to international students.

Book White Card course Book First Aid course

What is CRICOS?

CRICOS stands for Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students. It is a framework that aims to provide an excellent standard of education for overseas students looking to study abroad, making Australia an attractive destination.

Why are some courses exempt?

As part of the CRICOS framework, universities and colleges have the responsibility to ensure that international students have access to student accommodation, support services etc. during their stay in Australia.

The exemption for short courses aims to make those courses more accessible to international students by alleviating regulatory requirements on training organisations that are already covered by the primary place of study.

The department of education, skills and employment notes that the aim is to improve access to supplementary courses for overseas students, including hobby and recreational courses, and other short courses that may be required for employment whilst in Australia.

You can view the announcement here.

Short courses popular with international students

Many students take on part-time work to support themselves through their studies, with many of these requiring induction training.

Here are some of the most popular jobs and the training/license required:

Job Training/license required
Waiter/Waitress & Bartender SITHFAB002 - Provide responsible service of alcohol (RSA course)
Labourer CPCCWHS1001 - Prepare to work safely in the construction industry (White Card course)
Personal Trainer HLTAID011 - Provide First Aid (First Aid course)

List of ESOS exempt courses

The following units of competency, and any unit identified in the National Register referred to in section 216 of the National Vocational and Training Regulator Act 2011 as a later version of, or a superseding unit of the following units, are specified:

  • AHCCHM304 - Transport and store chemicals
  • AHCCHM307 - Prepare and apply chemicals to control pest, weeds and diseases
  • HLTAID009 - Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation
  • HLTAID010 - Provide basic emergency life support
  • HLTAID011 - Provide First Aid (First Aid course)
  • HLTAID012 - Provide First Aid in an education and care setting
  • HLTAID013 - Provide First Aid in remote or isolated site
  • HLTAID014 - Provide Advanced First Aid
  • HLTAID015 - Provide advanced resuscitation and oxygen therapy
  • HLTAID016 - Manage first aid services and resources
  • HLTINFCOV001 - Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
  • HLTINF001 - Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
  • BSBWHS332X - Apply infection prevention and control procedures to own work activities
  • SITHFAB002 - Provide responsible service of alcohol
  • HLTWHS005 - Conduct manual tasks safely
  • SITHGAM001 - Provide responsible gambling services
  • SITXFSA001 - Use hygienic practices for food safety
  • SITXFSA002 - Participate in safe food handling practices
  • CPCCWHS1001 - Prepare to work safely in the construction industry (White Card course)
  • SITHFAB005 - Prepare and serve espresso coffee
  • TLILIC0003 - Licence to operate a forklift truck

Source: Federal Register of Legislation