Ryan Senn

White Card identification

Written by Ryan Senn

When completing construction induction training (CPCCWHS1001 - Prepare to work safely in the construction industry) to be issued a White Card, you will need to bring identification to the course. The registered training organisation (RTO) you are completing the training with needs to make sure that you are who you say you are.

The required identification documents that you must bring to the course vary by state and territory.

White Card QLD identification

In Queensland, you must bring 3 forms of identification to be issued a general construction induction card. The documents are split into Category A and Category B. You must bring at least one document of Category A.

In other words, you can either bring:

  • one category A and two category B
  • two category A and one category B

Combined, these documents should show evidence of your full name, a photo of yourself, your date of birth and signature.

All documents must be originals and issued by an Australian authority unless otherwise indicated.

Category A
Document Status
Full birth certificate issued by the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages Current
Bicentennial birth certificate (born in 1988) Current
Australian Citizenship Certificate Current
Australian passport (including Australian Document of Identity) Current or expired less than two years
Foreign passport Current or expired less than two years
Australian photo driver licence Current or expired less than two years
Adult proof of age card (18+ Card) Issued after 01/01/1992
Visa Evidence Card (with PLO56 Visa) Current
DIBP - ImmiCard; Temporary or Resident Visa; Document for travel to Australia. Note: Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) is not accepted. Valid up to five years after issue
Category B
Document Status
Australian firearm licence (with photo) Current
Education institution student identity document (must include photo and/or signature) Current
Department of Veterans Affairs/Centrelink Pensioner Concession card (including Healthcare card) Current
Medicare card Current
Australian security guard/crowd controller licence (with photo) Current
Australian Defence Force photo identity card Current
Financial institution debit/credit card (must include signature and embossed/printed name). Current

If you are unable to produce the required documents, WorkSafe QLD can work out alternatives based on your situation. They can be contacted using this number: 1300 362 128

Looking to book a QLD White Card course? Visit our Queensland White Card booking page

White Card NSW identification

To be issued a construction induction card in NSW, you will need to bring documents that add up to 100 points, which is the same system used for other licenses such as the driver's license.

In NSW, the documents are split into primary and secondary categories. You can bring at most one document from the primary category.

Primary identity documents (max. of 1)
Document Points
Passport (current or expired within last 2 years but not cancelled) 70
Full original Australian Birth Certificate or Birth Card 70
Australian Citizenship Certificate 70
Secondary identity documents
Document Points
Current Australian drivers licence 40
Current Australian boat operator's photo licence 40
Current Australian firearms licence 40
Current Australian proof of age/photo card 40
Current Australian defence or police photo card 40
Medicare card 25
Centrelink card 25
Department of Veterans Affairs card 25
Credit/Debit card 25
Bank statements 25
Property (Council) rates notice 25
Property lease agreement 25
Home insurance papers 25
Electricity, water or gas bill 25
Motor vehicle registration papers 25

Person from overseas

As the requirement can be hard to meet for someone new to Australia, there is a special provision that applies in such situations. If you arrived in Australia in the last 6 weeks, you can use the following method to meet the identification requirements:

  1. Passport or travel document used to enter Australia
  2. Drivers license, debit card/credit card or bank statement in your name

White Card VIC identification

Victoria has a very simple identification process, only requiring photographic ID to issue your construction induction card. For example you could bring:

  • Drivers license
  • Passport
  • Student ID (with photo)

White Card TAS identification

Tasmania uses a system very similar to Queensland, with Category A and Category B documents.

Identically, you must either bring:

  • one category A and two category B
  • two category A and one category B

All documents must be original and current.

Category A
  • Birth Certificate (not an extract)
  • Citizenship papers
  • Passport
  • Overseas passport/visa
  • Driver’s licence
  • Firearm licence
  • Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs issued travel documents, including a visa
  • Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs issued Certificate of Evidence of Residential Status
Category B
  • Medicare Card
  • Plastic debit card or credit card, with signature
  • Tertiary student card
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs/Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card
  • Security Guard/Crowd Controller Licence
  • Government-issued Personal Photo ID Card
  • Births Deaths and Marriages Change of Name/Marriage Certificate (to prove name change)

Note that you will need to show the documents twice: When you complete the course with your registered training organisation and when you apply for the White Card with WorkSafe Tasmania.