Ryan Senn

QLD White Card identification

Written by Ryan Senn

When completing general construction induction training (CPCWHS1001 - Prepare to work safely in the construction industry) to be issued a White Card, you will need to bring identification to the course. The registered training organisation (RTO) you are completing the training with needs to make sure that you are who you say you are.

While most adult Australians will have little trouble producing the required identification documents, special arrangements exist for Secondary school students, Overseas workers and Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islanders.

This article is split into the following parts:

  1. Standard requirements
  2. Special arrangements for Secondary school students, Temporary overseas workers & Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
  3. Change of name
  4. Exceptions

Standard requirements

You must bring one of the following:

  • One (1) Category A document and two (2) Category B documents
  • Two (2) Category A documents and one (1) Category B document

At least one Category A document must be photographic and show the person’s full name. At least one Category A or B document must show the person’s date of birth and signature. Category B documents must be Australian-issued documents.

Category A documents Status
  • Australian Birth / Bicentennial Birth Certificate (born in 1988) - full (not Extract or Commemorative Certificate)
  • Australian Citizenship Certificate / Naturalisation Certificate
  • Department of Home Affairs (DHA)
    • Certificate of Evidence of Resident Status
    • Visa Evidence Card (with PLO56 Visa)
  • Queensland or Federal police officer photo identity card
  • Australian passport
  • Australian Certificate of Identity, Document of Identity, Titre de Voyage, Document de Voyage
  • Foreign passport
  • Australian photo driver licence
  • Queensland Government issued photographic high risk work licence
  • Queensland Accreditation / Authorisation: driver/rider trainer; pilot/escort vehicle driver; dangerous goods driver; tow truck driver/assistant; traffic controller; passenger transport driver (bus, taxi, limousine)
Current or expired less than two years
  • DHA - ImmiCard; Temporary or Resident Visa; Document for travel to Australia. Note: Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) is not accepted.
Valid up to five years after issue
  • Queensland Card 18+ (laminated)
Issued on or after 01/01/1992
Category B documents - must be Australian issued documents Status
  • Australian Defence Force photo identity card (excluding civilians)
  • Australian Firearm Licence (with photo)
  • Australian Security Guard/Crowd Controller Licence (with photo)
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs/Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card (including Healthcare card)
  • Education institution student identity document (must include photo and/or signature)
  • Financial institution debit/credit card (must include signature and embossed/printed name)
  • Medicare card; Department of Human Services BasicsCard
  • Interstate government-issued or government-approved photo identity card.

Special arrangements for Secondary school students, Temporary overseas workers & Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders

Special arrangements apply to the following groups:

  1. Secondary school students
  2. Temporary overseas workers
  3. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders

Secondary school students

The identity of the student may be verified by sighting one of the following original documents:

  • Australian birth certificate issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
  • Australian citizenship certificate
  • International travel documents including a current passport or a passport that has expired but has not been cancelled within the preceding two years
  • Australian learners permit or drivers licence (current)

and a written statement signed by one of the following school officials:

  • principal or deputy principal
  • head teacher or deputy head teacher
  • secretary or deputy secretary
  • chief administrator or deputy chief administrator

The statement must be written on the school letterhead and include the student’s full name and date of birth, and confirming the student attends the institution.


The identity of the student may be verified by producing at least one Category A or Category B document and sighting a student ID card issued by the school containing the school crest/seal or stamp. The student ID card must have the student’s photo, name and date of birth.

Temporary overseas workers

The identity of the person may be verified by producing a current passport & a current work visa in addition to ONE of the following:

  • overseas drivers’ licence
  • overseas financial institution card
  • overseas birth certificate

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders

The identity of the person may be verified by producing at least one Category A or Category B document and written statements from two authorised referees. Authorised referees for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders include:

  • Chairperson, secretary or CEO of an incorporated Indigenous organisation (including land councils, community councils, housing organisations etc.)
  • Community development employment project coordinator
  • School principal/counsellor
  • Minister of religion
  • Treating health professional or manager in Aboriginal medical services
  • Centrelink staff, Centrelink agent or government employee of at least five years

The authorised referee is to verify the person’s identification by providing a written statement on organisational or company letterhead. The written statement must include:

  • the person’s full name, current address and date of birth
  • evidence that the authorised referee has witnessed the person’s signature
  • the period of time the authorised referee has known the person and how they have known the person (e.g. professionally or personally)
  • the authorised referee’s signature and date

Change of name

If a person has changed their name and the name on the EOI documents is different to the name they want on the GCIT card, the RTO will need to sight and retain a copy of a change of name document.

Change of name documents Status
Australian Marriage Certificate (ceremonial marriage certificates are not accepted)
Australian civil partnership/relationship certificate
Australian Change of Name Certificate
Australian Birth Certificate (amended and/or with notations)
Issued by relevant Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages
* Divorce papers Decree Nisi or Absolute (must show the name being reverted to) Issued by relevant court
* Deed Poll Issued prior to 01/02/2004


In addition to these special arrangements, exceptions to these requirements may apply in certain circumstances (e.g. incarcerated persons). Exception requests are dealt with on a case-by-case basis, and enquiries should be directed to gcit@oir.qld.gov.au.